Accepting Applications from February 15 – March 15, 2021
Personnel Supervised: Program Manager, Artistic Manager, Marketing and PR Coordinator, Key Consultants
The Kalapriya Center for Indian Performing Arts (Kalapriya) is a Chicago-based 501(c)(3) organization with the
mission to support, celebrate, and present high-caliber performance art and education rooted in the diverse
cultural traditions of South Asia. Kalapriya navigates the role of the arts in our society in addressing the many
challenges we face: the aftermath of the pandemic, the divisiveness in our political and social discourse and
inequities. Kalapriya seeks to advance excellence in the full spectrum of Indian performing arts, engage new
audiences, and promote cross-cultural understanding.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Kalapriya is seeking a high-energy leader who embodies Kalapriya’s values and motivates the larger
community to execute the mission. The Executive Director (ED) is the key strategic and management leader
for Kalapriya and spearheads the growth of the organization. The ED reports to the Board of Directors and
works actively with the board and staff to build a comprehensive sustainability strategy, expand the funding
base and raise the organizational profile in the community.
The ED is responsible for developing and continuing the organization’s strategic direction, reputation and
brand with stakeholder groups, facilitating an inclusive and growth-oriented work culture, as well as providing
operational and administrative oversight. The Executive Director is at the forefront of critical decision-making,
maintains high standards of trust and transparency, and provides leadership that is creative and flexible for
achieving Kalapriya’s mission and goals.
Leadership and Strategy
• Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and long-range strategic plan for the
organization. Responsible for implementing the strategic plan and achieving mission.
• Lead Kalapriya’s annual organizational planning process to set and clarify artistic, administrative,
operational, and programmatic goals.
• Serve as Kalapriya’s principal representative and spokesperson of the organization among service
constituencies, the broader community, public and private donors, and the media.
• Develop and maintain partnerships, collaborations and sound working relationships that benefit Kalapriya,
its mission, reputation, artistic vision, fundraising efforts, and/or programs.
Fundraising and Communications
• Develop, lead and oversee the growth strategy and management for Kalapriya, building a diversified
income stream of individual and institutional donors, corporate and government support.
• Work closely with the Board of Directors and fundraising consultants to identify, cultivate and solicit
donors and funders. Increase number of donors and size of gifts.
• Raise the visibility of Kalapriya in the community, overseeing the communications strategy.
• Oversee all financial functions of the agency and maintain long-term organizational financial health.
• Participate with the staff and Board of Directors to prepare a comprehensive annual operating budget and
report on financials regularly.
• Oversee the annual financial reporting (e.g., 990) and publication of Kalapriya’s Annual Report. Ensure
compliance with city, state and federal policies and related legal obligations.
• Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization (human, property, financial, and image) and implements
measures to minimize.
Human Resource Management
• Actively model and reinforce Kalapriya’s culture and values.
• Develop and review staffing plan. Build strong collaborative relationships with staff and develops staff
• Hire, supervise and mentor direct reports, prepare evaluations in accordance with personnel policies.
Operations and Facilities Management
• Ensure that programs, performances and activities offered by the organization contribute to the
organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board and the strategic plan.
• Ensure the regular evaluation of programs and the effective incorporation of results to inform future
• Responsible of rental contracts and partner agreements for facilities and sites.
• Ensure the safety and emergency preparedness of Kalapriya staff, interns and volunteers
• Serve as the primary organizational liaison to the Board of Directors, including building relationships with
new and prospective members. Assist in board development, including board succession planning.
• Facilitate the board’s decision-making by providing accurate and timely information, recommending action
and ensuring policy and program implementation.
• Work with the Board to keep it active, involved, informed and effective.
• Exempt or non-exempt position: Full-time, Exempt.
• Average hours per week: 45-50.
• Evening or weekend work: Occasional evenings and weekend hours at Kalapriya events, also attendance
at select community events.
• An undergraduate degree in business administration, arts administration or similar degree is required; an
advanced degree is preferred.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience managing an arts nonprofit organization
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
• Dedication to advancing Kalapriya’s mission and vision.
• The ability to articulate a broad vision of Kalapriya, South Asian history, geography and culture.
• A clear and creative vision for developing programmatic excellence.
• Proven management experience in building and leading a diverse team with a natural ability to connect
individually and in large groups.
• Successful track record of operational oversight.
• An understanding of nonprofit business practices, nonprofit licensing requirements, and contract/grant
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a Board of Directors.
• Strong financial management skills, including developing budget preparation, analysis, decision-making
• Demonstrable understanding of nonprofit fundraising, including private grants, public contracts, individual
and planned giving, and special events.
• Ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders including staff, students, parents/families, community,
Board, and partner organizations.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Salary range for this position is $65,000 to $75,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
● We offer a compensation package that includes generous paid time off.
HOW TO APPLY
● Kalapriya is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women,
immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
● To apply, please submit your letter of interest, resume to: email@example.com with the subject line.
“KALAPRIYA ED: your last name, your first name”.
● Accepting resumes until March 15, 2020. Position expected to begin early May.